Welcome to Community 1
Welcome to Term 4, 2018!
Welcome to Community 1. We are an awesome bunch of 21 Year 6 students who are lucky enough to have our own stand alone classroom with our very own kitchen!!!!
We love to be outside playing sports and hands on learning Science and also in our school garden.
Some of our leadership responsibilities include
- Road Patrol
- Wet Day Monitors
- Chicken Coop Monitors
- Milk Monitors
- Ringing the bell
- Jump Jam leaders
- members of the kapa haka and choir
Our teacher is Mrs Thornton and she is always busy making learning interesting for us and getting us involved as many aspects of school as possible.
If you want to find out more about our class, check out our shared blog we have with our sister school in Singapore.
- Our library day is Monday afternoon
- SOL programme will run on Friday afternoons from 2 – 3 pm
- Choir day is Monday & Wednesday 9 – 9.25am for weeks 1&2
- Kapa haka day is Wednesday 8.40am – 9.20am – starting in Week 3
- Thursday 18th October Year 6 Cluster Conference in Dunsandel – leaving at 8.45am
- Monday 22nd October Labour Day – School closed
- Wednesday 24th October Hell’s Pizza Wednesday
- Friday 26th October Music Festival rehearsal and performance at night at Horncastle – choir only
- Monday 29th October Class poetry presentations are this week
- Tuesday 30th October Athletics Day p.p Thursday 1st November
- Friday 2nd November EAST club
- Wednesday 7th November ZONE Athletics p.p Monday 12th November
- Friday 9th November Disco
- Wednesday 14th November Hell’s Pizza Wednesday
- Thursday 15th November Poetry Finals (Years 3 – 6)
- Friday 16th November SHOW Day – School closed
- Monday 19th – Wednesday 21st November Life Education
- Tuesday 20th November Year 6 visit to Ellesmere College – transport required by parents
- Friday 23rd November Open Day at school for 150th – special assembly in afternoon
- Saturday 24th November 150th Celebrations at school – Jump Jam, kapa haka, choir
students are required for performances today
- Monday 26th & Tuesday 27th November Mrs Thornton away – Mrs McEntyre teaching
- Wednesday 28th – Friday 30th November Miss Suhaila visiting from Singapore from Edgefield School
- Friday 30th November Year 6 end of year trip – parent help and transport required
- Monday 3rd December Mrs Thornton away – Mrs McEntyre teaching
- Wednesday 5th December Canterbury Athletics
- Thursday 6th December Certificate Assembly, Leavers’ fence opening,
- Tuesday 11th December Prize Giving @ Ellesmere College
- Wednesday 12th December School Picnic Day – starts at 10am, can come in mufti
- Thursday 13th December Last day of school – finish at 12 pm
- Friday 14th December T.O.D
Our aim is to equip our students to be inquiring, self-motivated learners. Our policy is not to set compulsory Home Learning however we strongly encourage daily opportunities to practice Reading, Writing and Mathematics at home. We also encourage you to talk to your child about their learning. We encourage participation in authentic learning opportunities in the wider community, e.g., sports and cultural team activities. in line with this, Home Learning in Com 1 will this year be in the form of any work that your child has not completed in class. If your child has work to complete from the day this will be sent home with your child and an email will be sent to inform you that work is coming home.