Welcome to Community 1
Welcome back to Term 4, it’s hard to believe we are nearly at the end of the school year. I hope you all had a relaxing holiday break and enjoyed the lovely warm weather and sunshine.
Home Learning in Com 1 will continue to be given out in Week 1, 3 and 6 on Mondays starting in Week 1 and checked at the end of that cycle Friday. Last term we trialled a three week block of Home Learning and the majority of the students preferred this option to the fortnightly Home Learning. If the Friday is a public holiday, Home Learning will be due on the Thursday instead. Your child will bring home:
- Spelling words to learn for a test every second Friday morning;
- Basic Facts as part of Maths;
- Students are expected to read at home books of interest to them.
- There may be some additional Home Learning at times relating to our classroom programme.
The expectation is that Home Learning is completed within the three week period. Please check how your child is going with their Home Learning and sign their book to let me know that you have seen this. If your child is unable to complete their Home Learning, a signed note from a parent or caregiver is required.
I look forward to another busy term and will keep you updated regularly, via email, of upcoming events . Below is a list of important dates for you to note in your calendar. For the Lagoon trip and Year 6 trip I will send home more information throughout the course of the term. If you would like to attend either or both of these, please let me know as I will be needing to arrange transport for the class. Please feel welcome to pop in to Com 1 or alternatively keep in contact via email.
Community 1 teacher
School office: 3242 545
- Our library day is Monday afternoon.
- Kapa haka will run from Week 3 on alternate Thursday mornings from 8.45am – 9.15am (Weeks 3, 5, 7 & 9) in preparation for Prize Giving Assembly.
- Choir will run from Week 4 on alternate Thursday mornings from 8.45am – 9.10am in preparation for Prize Giving Assembly.
- Send spare clothes for painting each day.
- We need more egg cartons, old shoes and newspaper for our art.
- Check your child’s Linc-ed page to see where they are up to in their learning and their goals for Reading, Writing and Maths.
- Year 6 Ngā Mātāpuna o te Waihora Student Wednesday 1st November (a notice will come
Leadership Conference at Dunsandel home about this.
- Zone Athletics Thursday 2nd November p.p Friday 3rd
November – held at Southbridge School
- Fun sports afternoon run by Year 6 Friday 10th November from 1.15pm – 3pm
- Show Day Friday 17th November – School closed
- Puberty lessons From Monday 20th November (a notice will
come home about this)
- Art Exhibition – senior school Thursday 23rd November 5.30 – 7.30pm
- Ellesmere College visit Monday 27th November – details to come
- Com 1 trip to Rakaia Lagoon (a notice will come home
- Leavers’ Fence assembly Monday 11th December
- Celebration Assembly Thursday 14th December @ 9.15am
- Year 6 end of year trip Friday 15th December (a notice will come home
- Picnic and Duathlon Monday 18th December
- Prize Giving rehearsal and last day of school Tuesday 19th December with Prize Giving held at
night at Ellesmere College.
- Term 4 ends Tuesday 19th December
Home Learning is due on Friday Week 3, Term 4