Southbridge School was founded in 1868, with a starting roll of 20 students. It reached its peak of 389 students in 1890.
In 1903 the Southbridge District High School was founded, and shared buildings with the primary school until 1924.
The school buildings were destroyed by fire on 23 October 1924.
The District High School was rebuilt on the original site. The primary school was then rebuilt on the other side of the street.
In 1981 the District High School was replaced by Ellesmere College, in Leeston.
In 2008 Southbridge School celebrated its 140th Anniversary.